As many of you know, DAG seeding can fail for a few reasons, namely:
- Networking issues
- Resource issues (CPU/RAM)
- Disk space issues
- Anti-virus (exclusions missing)
- And many more…..
Today we had a strange one though, some databases seeded fine but the rest were failing with this error:
Here are some of the troubleshooting steps to try and save you time:
- Remove Antivirus even though exclusions are in place.
- Reboot Server to ensure no pending reboots from patching etc.
- Mount points have enough space.
- Memory and CPU enough to handle the load.
Even though all the above was done, the seeding would start and then fail about 5 minutes in.
The solution was to move the Virtual Machine to another host and after that the seeding went through without an issue. Potential problems at play here:
- Host Network driver issue
- Host lockup
- Network cable faulty on the Physical server
It could have been anyone and the server will be investigated but check your hosts first by doing a VM migration and then see if the seeding goes through.
Hope it helps.