- Admin access to be able to manage Mailbox Databases in Exchange.
- EMC or Exchange Management Shell.
If you running an Exchange DAG and the copy status is sitting in a failed state you can reseed the Database.
You first need to run the following command below to Suspend the copy, open up the EMS (Exchange Management Shell).
- Suspend-MailboxDatabaseCopy -Identity “Mailbox Database XXXXXServer Name”
You will be prompted to choose an option. Type in “y” and press enter.
- Database Copy Status will go from “Failed” to “Failed and Suspended”.
Now to reseed the database you can run the following command, remember the bigger the database the longer it is going to take:
- Update-MailboxDatabaseCopy -Identity “Mailbox Database XXXXXServer Name” -DeleteExistingFiles
If you check the status now by running the command below you will see that the second server is busy Resynchronizing (as above).
- Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus *
Once this is complete the Copy Queue Length should start going down.